What Is WordPress?
WordPress is a free and open source CMS (Content Management System). WordPress is a free blogging platform written in PHP and MySQL. Currently, it is mostly used for blogging and also, it is the first & best choice of every blogger. You can create mailing lists, forums, media galleries, online stores/e-commerce sites with WordPress blogging platform.
WordPress CMS was released by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little on 27 May 2003. WordPress is also known as WP. Using WordPress, you can Start a blog easily. It is the most popular and simple way to create a blog or website.
WordPress software powers more than 30% on the internet. If you go to ten websites on the internet, at least three websites powered by WordPress. WordPress is an open source content management system that works under the GPLV license. GPLV license means, everybody can use and modify WordPress software, according to the needs. In fact, Content Management System (CMS) is a blog tool to make the blog easy for web publishing. It helps your content go online without the knowledge of programming. WordPress is the best way to create blogs or websites.
What Kinds Websites You Can Create With WordPress?
WordPress is a free, reliable & trusted blogging tool/platform. We can create all kinds of blogs or websites easily. WordPress content management system based on a template system & process for blog posting. When we decide to start a blog or website, the first question arises in our mind: “What is the best blogging platform, can WordPress do?”. The answer to this question is “YES”.
You can create and start every type of blog or website with WordPress software. To start a blog, you need a WordPress hosting and a domain to start your WordPress website. If you do not want to start a blog or website and want to learn, You may Download and Install WordPress on your computer or PC. After installing WordPress successfully, you are able to access all the things of WordPress software. In WP offline software, you can learn the features, editing core files, installing wp themes, plugins and how it works?
WordPress: How to Create A Website With WordPress:
Here I am going to show you, which types of websites or blogs you can create with WordPress. If you want to make your blog popular & want to make money online, first think about the blog topic. Blog topic is very important to make your blog successful. Blog topic may be your choice, hobby, knowledge and maybe the part of business strategy.
There were a lot of ideas to start a blog with WordPress. You can create a blog, business website, coupon/offers site, social platform and many more with WordPress. You can do all the things on wp without having knowledge of coding. Here are some great examples and ideas for the newbie blogger, that you want to start.
22 Types of Websites You Can Create With WordPress:
- Auctions websites/blog
- Personal Blogs Or Websites
- Business Directory websites
- Business websites
- Coupons sites
- eCommerce platform
- Family Blogs
- Job Board websites
- Knowledgebase websites like Wikipedia
- Membership Sites
- Multilingual Website
- Niche Affiliates blogs or websites
- Non-Profits and Religious websites
- Online Communities websites
- Photography sites
- Podcasting sites
- Portfolio websites
- Private Blogs
- Question & Answers sites
- Resumes websites
- School/Colleges websites
- Social Networking site
How To Create A Free Website Or Blog?
In my opinion, if you are serious about blogging, never use free blogging software. Each free blogging platforms offers a freemium (free + premium) business plans.
Free website means, you can sign up and use some basic features, only. In the future, if you place some ads on your website or blog, they will stop you immediately. To make money online, connect your blog to a custom domain. Free plans stand for free trials. You will waste your valuable time by using the free tools.
Which free blogger sites can I use?
There are several free blogger sites available on the internet. If you want to use a free blogging site, choose one, from the list.
Follow the Step to Create A Blog Free of Cost:
- Step One: The first thing is, choose a free blogging software and sing up.
- Step Two: Choose a beautiful theme for your blog.
- Step Three: Start writing articles, stories, news everything.
- Step Four: Add some pictures, videos and other content.
- Step Five: Publish your content and share with social media networks.
- Note: Don’t share ugly content, adult things and something like this.
What Is WordPress.Org vs WordPress.Com: What’s Best?
First thing, WordPress.Org, and WordPress.Com are two different blogging platforms/organizations. So first understand some major differences between .org or .com.
1. What is WordPress.Org – This version of WordPress stands for “Organization”. WordPress.org software (cms) is 100% free, open source and Self-hosted. You need to buy a hosting plan for your blog or website and Install WordPress, free of cost.
2. What is WordPress.Com – This version of WordPress stands for “Commercial”. Here are two things WordPress.Com Free Plan and WordPress.Com Premium Plan. But if you are serious about blogging, don’t use WordPress.Com hosting plan for your blog. Because it is a paid version and features are not suitable.
Newbie bloggers always confused about WordPress “.Org & .Com” versions. If you are going to start a blog or a website, then you need to understand some major differences between WordPress.Org and WordPress.Com (Free and Premium version). We have created a table of comparison between both WP.COM OR WP.ORG features.
Differences Between WordPress.Org and WordPress.Com:
|Common Differences Between WordPress.Org and WordPress.Com|
|TOPIC||WordPress.Org||Free WordPress.Com||Premium WordPress.Com|
|THEME||Full Theme Support||Limited Theme Support||Premium Hosting Allow Customization Only ($99)|
Business Hosting May Upload 3rd Party Theme ($299)
|PLUGINS||Allowed All Plugins||Now Allowed Plugins||Only For Business Hosting ($299)|
|HOSTING||Hosting Starts From $2.99||Free Hosting up to 3GB||Hosting Starts From $99|
|ADSENSE/AFFILIATES||Allowed||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
|REMOVE FOOTER LINK||Allowed||Not Allowed||Allowed to Premium or Business Plan|
Business hosting owners
|SEO||Use All SEO Features||SEO Use Limitation||Only For Business Plan Holder’s|
|ANALYTICS||Allow to Install Any Analytics Plugin||Already Installed A Plugin, Third Party Not Allowed||Only For Business Plan Holder’s|
|E-COMMERCE/ONLINE STORE||Can Create A Complete Online Store||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
|MEMBERSHIP SITES||Can Create Powerful Membership Sites Here||Not Allowed||Not Allowed|
You are not the first person, going to install WordPress.org software. Already 73 million people are using wordpress.org to create blogs or websites. Feel comfortable, this is the best and best for your new blog.
WordPress is recommended for the newbie bloggers, so in the next steps, we will talk about the What is WordPress and it’s usage, WordPress examples, WordPress Themes and Plugins etc.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open source content management system (cms) or a software. WordPress was released on 27th May 2003. In October 2009, it was officially announced as open source cms (content management system). Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little is the founder of WordPress.
What is WordPress Used for?
WordPress is the most popular blogging platform on the web, to manage their websites. It allows the users to edit, change or delete all things from the back-end feature. WP visual features look like smartphone features. Be careful, when you use WordPress editor for editing core files.
WordPress most of the features including modifying the site view, managing the media files and folder, managing user information, use plugins, on-site SEO, importing files and translating the content in another language, completely.
Is the WordPress Reliable, How Does It Work?
WordPress is the most useful and reliable content management system in the world. It covered more than 30% of the CMS market entirely. You can create and start every kind of website or blog with WordPress, which meets your business objectives. You don’t have to be in touch with any developer to update your website.
WordPress comes in a large number of advanced features such as custom designing, multi-user blogging, multi-blogging, multi templates, adding widgets & plugins for more creative, built in engine analytics. All these features of WordPress make it different other than Joomla, Drupal etc.
Is WordPress for free?
WordPress is absolutely free of cost and you don’t have to pay any amount to use it. If you are using wordpress.com, you will have to pay the hosting amount to WordPress.
If you are looking working with WordPress.org, then you don’t need to pay the amount to WordPress. Select a hosting plan from Bluehost, Dreamhost, and Sightground to host your website and Install WordPress software, free of cost. It offers one-click WordPress installation service.
Bluehost, Dreamhost, and Sightground hosting services offered Cpanel to install, edit/change/modify, backup or delete WordPress. These hostings services are officially recommended by WordPress.
New To WordPress – How Do You Use WordPress?
If you are new to WordPress, how do you use WordPress for your new blog? You need to do all the tasks carefully with WordPress. So first of all, we will be installing the WordPress with Bluehost, Sightground, and DreamHost. After the WordPress installation process is complete, it needs to fill out some basic information about your blog. Apart from this, you can change these things later.
To run your blog online, first install WordPress platform. But the question is “How to install WordPress?”
At present, on the web, there are several tools available to install WordPress. Most bloggers used QuickInstall WordPress Setup for new blogs. Because it is very easy to use.
To install WordPress for your new blog, you may use QuickInstall, Fantastico, Softaculous, Mojo Marketplace, FTP and Cpanel Manager services. Follow the steps to install the WordPress in an easy way. It is your choice, what you choose.
What Tools Do I Need to Install WordPress:
At present, there are several tools or software are available for installing WordPress software. WordPress is an open source blogging software that is attached to all the web hosting services.
All the web hosting services offer “WordPress one-click” installation service. Presently, a lot of wp installers are available on the web, but we will learn about some major tools, that used mostly. Here will learn about how to install WordPress by QuickInstall, Fantastico, Softaculous, Mojo-Market Place, FTP (File Transfer Protocol) or Cpanel File Manager.
QUICK-INSTALL: How to Install WordPress From QuickInstall?
QuickInstall is a flexible and powerful software for script auto-installer. It installs scripts easily and updates scripts automatically with the latest version. If you want to install WordPress from quick-install software, your hosting should be either Shared or Reseller plan.
Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using QuickInstall:
- Login to your hosting Cpanel.
- Find QuickInstall in Cpanel dashboard and click on it.
- Once you enter in the QuickInstall software, click to One-Click Install button.
- In the next option, you will see some popular content management system (CMS) to use.
- Click to WordPress.
- Enter the configuration information and simply press the Install button.
- After completion of WordPress installation, you will get a mail from WP. The email contains your username, password, and some important tips. Keep your password safe.
FANTASTICO: How To Install WordPress Using Fantastico?
Fantastico is a simple tool to install WordPress for your new blog. This is simple and similar to another script installer.
Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using Fantastico:
- First of all, visit your Cpanel hosting account.
- Find the Fantastico in the Software section, Click on it.
- Want to install WordPress, hit on WordPress icon.
- Enter basic configuration details and click to Install button.
- After completing all things, you will be receiving a mail from wp. This will including the wp user and pass information.
SOFTACULOUS: How To Install WordPress With Softaculous?
Softaculous is the popular script auto-installer. With this, you could install and use the most popular web applications.
Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using SOFTACULOUS:
- Log in to your web hosting Cpanel account.
- Visit Auto Installers section, choose Softaculous.
- Open the app and install WordPress cms from here.
- Enter the basic details and press the WordPress install button.
- You will get an email from wp, that includes username and password.
- Use the details to log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- MOJO-MARKETPLACE: How To Install WordPress From MOJO Marketplace?
- Want to install WordPress with Mojo Marketplace? If you want to install WordPress by mojo marketplace, you need to follow a step by step procedure.
- Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using Mojo Marketplace:
- Firstly, log in to your blog hosting Cpanel account.
- Find out the WordPress icon in the website section of the dashboard.
- Hit on “Install WordPress”.
- Enter some basic information related to your blog and press Install button.
- Once WordPress installed, check your email box. This will contains wp username and password.
FTP (File Transfer Protocol): How To Install WordPress Using FTP?
Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using FTP software.
- Download the latest version of WordPress from WordPress.org.
- Extract the wordpress.zip file.
- Now open your FTP software to upload the wp files in the primary web host directly as called /public_html/.
- If you want to upload the WordPress in a subfolder, upload it in /public_html/blog directory.
- After completing the uploading process, just create a database using Cpanel (control panel).
- Follow this: yoursitename.com/cpanel > MySql Database > Create a new database, Add MySql Users, Add user to database and press Save button.
- Now simply type yoursitename.com/wp-admin and press Enter button.
- You will see a page for select your language > In Next Page – Let’s Go.
- Enter database information.
- In next page – Run the Install. After completing the installation process, you will get a mail from WordPress, that contains your username and password. Keep it safe.
CPANEL FILE MANAGER: How to Install WordPress via Cpanel File Manager?
At last, we will talk about how to install WordPress using the Cpanel file manager. Cpanel file manager is a smart way of installing WordPress for your blog or website.
Follow the Easy Steps to Install WordPress Using Cpanel File Manager:
- First of all, download the latest version of WordPress.org – Click here
- Download the WordPress in the .zip file.
- Extract the files.
- Go to the address: Cpanel hosting account > File Manager > open public_html > WP Contents
- To upload WP on the file manager, click to Upload button.
- A New window will be open to upload the file.
- Change the file permission to 677 and upload WordPress .zip file.
- After successfully uploading the WordPress software, close the window and visit the main page of the file manager. Refresh the page.
- Extract the wp .zip file on the same place and delete the .zip file.
- Open a new tab in the browser and simply type:
yoursitename.com/wp-admin and enter.
- Fill the basic details about your website or blog. After completing wp form, You will get your username and password.
The Great Examples of WordPress Websites :
There is no limitation to the use of WordPress. WordPress is not only used as blogging, it is used widely, to create every type of website for small to big enterprises. A lot of websites, that you seen on the internet, 30% are powered by WordPress.
Popular websites such as Microsoft, CNN, Facebook, BATA use WordPress. You can see a list of those websites powered by WordPress.
40 Brands Use WordPress To Create Websites (Blog):
- AMERICAN RED CROSS ONLINE DISASTER NEWS PORTAL
- BBC AMERICA
- BUZZ MACHINE
- CHICAGO BULLS
- CHICAGO SUN TIMES
- CNN POLITICAL TICKER
- ESPN PRODUCT BLOG
- FACEBOOK NEWSROOM
- GOOGLE VENTURES
- GREENWICH LIBRARY
- HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW: BLOGS
- HARVARD LAW
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY GRADUATE SCHOOL OF DESIGN
- KATY PERRY
- LINKEDIN OFFICIAL BLOG
- MTV NEWS
- OVARIAN CANCER NATIONAL ALLIANCE
- ROTARY CLUB
- STAR WARS BLOG
- THE AMERICAN FOUNDATION FOR EQUAL RIGHTS
- THE NEW YORK POST
- THE NEW YORK TIMES
- THE ROLLING STONES
- THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY
- UPS BLOG
- USA TODAY: FOR THE WIN
- USAIN BOLT
- VAN HEUSEN
- WOLVERINE WORLDWIDE
WordPress themes used to design a blog or a website. If you have just purchased a domain name & hosting plan for your new blog, then you need a WordPress theme. If you are seriously want to make money with your new blog, choose a premium wp theme. If you start a blog for just fun, then you could use a free WordPress theme to create a blog. You can find the free wp theme from WordPress.org theme directory.
WordPress offers thousands of themes or templates as free. WordPress.org themes are completely free to use for everyone. Some bloggers used free wp themes for promoting and sell products online. WordPress free themes are listed on the WordPress.org themes directory.
There are some differences between free or premium WordPress themes. Before the use of any wp theme, first read the points about WordPress premium and free themes.
Free & Premium WordPress Themes: First Look Advantage or Disadvantage
Free WordPress.org Themes – Advantage or Disadvantage:
1. The first advantage of WordPress.org free themes is free to download or use.
2. Free wp themes are best for experimental purpose.
- 1. WordPress.org free themes offer limited to support only.
- 2. WP free themes features & functions are limited.
- 3. Free WordPress themes have limited customization options.
- 4. Some free wp themes do not work properly. These types of themes only waste your time.
- 5. You can’t remove footer links such as “Powered by WordPress” or theme developer official link.
- 6. Some of the free themes aren’t written in well-coded, that may lose your blog ranking in google search.
Premium WordPress Themes – Advantage or Disadvantage:
- 1. Premium themes of WordPress providing full support for theme documentation.
- 2. Premium WP themes include a lot of features and customization options. By using the premium theme features, you can modify your blog design according to the need.
- 3. There is too much competition in the premium themes industry, so you can get most of the features and offers at the lowest price.
- 1. Your favorite theme may be expensive.
- 2. Some premium WordPress themes contain too much codes & unnecessary features, that may decrease the page speed.
NOTE: Be intelligent when you buying a wp premium theme.
What is WordPress Plugin?
This is a very common question, always ask by newbies. WordPress plugins are the combination of some advanced features, that don’t have your current wp theme. Plugins have some more features that can be added to your website. Mainly, WordPress plugins used for SEO, web performance, security, optimization etc. WP plugins come with the .zip file format and written in the PHP language. WordPress.org plugins official offered thousands of free plugins to use.
Safety & Security:
Don’t use unwanted or untrusted plugins for your website. They can damage your website. On the WordPress, there are a lot of free plugins available, so before using any plugin be careful at that time. You may check out something such rating, last updated, plugin developer, users review etc. Never share your site login credentials to others for use.
How to Install WordPress Plugin to Blog?
There are three ways to install a WordPress plugin to your website or blog. Follow a simple procedure to download or install wp plugins.
- Install Plugin From Dashboard: This method is very easy to install a free WordPress plugin. Go to site dashboard > Plugins > Add New.
- Upload & Install A WP Plugin: If you have a plugin in the .zip file, can be upload here. Just click to Upload plugin > Choose File > Install and Activate.
- Upload Via Cpanel: If in case you are unable to upload or install a wp plugin, capel can save your time. If you have Cpanel hosting, simply type in the browser
“yoursitename.com/cpanel” > Submit Username & Password. Go to File Manager > WP Content > Plugins > Upload File (choose plugin file from your pc) > Extract files (Select the file and press extract file).
Now go to your website dashboard > plugins > installed plugins > activate plugin.
At the end of this topic…
If you are a student or an employee and want to create your own site, it is very easy nowadays. Everybody, who have a desire to share something with the world, can start a blog with WordPress.
WordPress makes blogging so easier for those, who don’t have knowledge of programming languages. WordPress is a reliable, free and trusted product for blogging purpose. In this blog post, we have shared the best of things about “What is WordPress?”.
If you like my post, you can share the post with your friends. Don’t forget to leave a comment about this post or a topic, which for you want to know from here. Thanks.